Wednesday, May 22, 2024

For the Sake of Strangers BY DORIANNE LAUX

No matter what the grief, its weight, we are obliged to carry it. We rise and gather momentum, the dull strength that pushes us through crowds. And then the young boy gives me directions so avidly. A woman holds the glass door open, waiting patiently for my empty body to pass through All day it continues, each kindness reaching toward another- a stranger singing to no one as I pass on the path, trees offering their blossoms, a child who lifts his almond eyes and smiles. Somehow they always find me, seem even to be waiting, determined to keep me from myself, from the thing that calls to me as it must have once called to them this temptation to step off the edge and fall weightless, away from the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment